Policy Number: 2050
Personnel Travel Policy
Purpose & Philosophy
In order for the authorized personnel of American Leadership Academy to carry out their assignments in fulfilling the school's mission, this policy is to support and to provide reimbursement for essential travel expenses. Every effort should be made to arrange schedules in such a way so as to minimize the amount of travel. An employee on official school business will be expected to exercise the same care in incurring expenses that a prudent person would exercise in traveling on personal business.
Personnel Travel Request & Authorization Form
The Personnel Travel Request and Authorization Form will be completed including the "objectives for the requested travel" section, and turned in for prior approval when traveling outside Utah or whenever the travel involves an overnight stay.
Meals & Incidentals
Every effort should be made to arrange schedules in such a way so as to minimize the charging of meals to the school. It should seldom be necessary, for instance, to arrange internal business discussions over lunch within the county. Business in Salt Lake City should not be accompanied by lunch at the school's expense.
Mileage for reimbursement is to start from the assigned job location or when mileage can be conserved, travel may start from an individual's home. Travel should be organized so as to conserve travel expenditures. When official travel by personally owned vehicles has been authorized, mileage payment will be made at the rate of $ 0.445 per mile.
Conferences & Conventions
- Attendance at all conferences and conventions is to serve the educational goals of the school. It is not the intent of American Leadership Academy to authorize travel to conferences and conventions as a matter of routine attendance. Employees, working their last year in the school should not plan to attend conferences and conventions outside of Utah.
- Travel requests should be received well in advance so that the lowest reasonable rates may be obtained.
- The payment of registration for conferences and workshops shall be made in accordance with purchasing policies and procedures of the school.
- All airline tickets should be purchased at the lowest reasonable rates. Tax exempt certificates should be used to save sales tax being charged to the school.
- All vehicle rentals should be made at the lowest reasonable rates and in accordance with the purchasing policies and procedures of the school.
- The largest vehicle that the school personnel can rent is a vehicle with a seating capacity of no more than eight (8) passengers, including the driver.
- In order to provide appropriate liability coverage, only employees may be listed as authorized drivers on the rental agreement and allowed to drive the vehicle.
In the case of an accident, school personnel should follow these procedures:
- Call the police.
- Call and notify the Director or appropriate principal.
- Request a copy of the Driver Exchange Report from the investigating police officer.
- If possible and appropriate under the circumstances, document information concerning the accident, such as exact location; person driving the vehicle; other party's insurance information; names and contact numbers of witnesses.
- If the accident involves a rental vehicle, call the rental company and report the accident.
Vehicle Use for School Business
Employees who operate a school, rental, or private vehicle shall be required to watch the school's approved driver safety video prior to operating a vehicle for any job-‐related purpose.
School personnel who operate either a private or a school vehicle for school business, as set forth in this policy, shall adhere to the following restrictions: A single driver shall drive no more than a maximum of ten (10) hours per day. Drive during daylight hours as much as possible. Rest for eight (8) hours after driving ten (10) hours in a day. Comply with any and all applicable traffic and safety laws, including the use of seat belts while operating the vehicle.