Policy Number: 2210
Social Media For Employees, Coaches/Advisors, Student Leaders & Extra-Curricular Team Students
Table of Contents
American Leadership Academy takes the use of social media seriously. Employees and Coaches/Advisors have a professional image to uphold and have a responsibility to portray themselves and the school in a positive manner at all times. ALA students who are on competition teams or are student leaders represent ALA and are seen as role models at the school and in the community, and have the responsibility to portray their team, their school and themselves in a positive manner at all times.
Texting, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, TikTok and other social media sites have increased in popularity globally, and are used by many employees and the majority of students.
Employees, Coaches/Advisors, and students should be aware that third parties, including the media, future employers and school administration could easily access social media profiles and view all personal information. This includes all pictures, videos, comments, posts, and posters. Inappropriate material found by third parties affects the perception of the employees, students and the school. This can also be detrimental to employee’s and student’s future employment options.
1. Social Media: Snapchat, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, TikTok and any other social media platform.
2. Electronic Communication: Texting, email, instant messaging, etc.
Employees, Coaches/Advisors, and students who are on competition teams or are student leaders will not engage in inappropriate, harassing, demeaning, threatening or offensive behaviors while participating in social media and electronic communication.
Examples may include, but are not limited to, depictions or presentations of the following:
1. Content online that is derogatory, demeaning or threatening toward any other individual or entity as well as any acts of violence (examples: derogatory comments regarding ALA or another school; taunting comments aimed at a student, coach or another employee of ALA or another school, and derogatory comments against race, sexual orientation and/or gender). No posts should depict or encourage unacceptable, violent or illegal activities (examples: hazing, sexual harassment/assault, discrimination, fighting, vandalism, academic dishonesty, underage drinking, and illegal drug use).
2. Photos, videos, comments or posters showing the personal use of alcohol, drugs and tobacco.
3. Photos, videos, and comments that are of a sexual nature. This includes links to websites of a pornographic nature and other inappropriate material.
4. Pictures, videos, comments or posters that condone drug-related activity. This includes but is not limited to images that portray the personal use of marijuana and drug paraphernalia.
5. Content online that would constitute a violation of school or team rules (examples: commenting negative comments publicly about a teacher, coach, advisor, classmate, official, or other school employee).
6. Information that is sensitive or personal in nature or is proprietary to ALA, which is not public information.
1. Administration has the ability to impose disciplinary action on employees, coaches or advisors that could include probation or termination for an inappropriate action.
2. Administration, Athletic Director, and the Head Coach or Advisor have the ability to impose probation, suspension, or removal of a student from the team for an inappropriate action.