Policy Number: 1060
Directions: Read this policy, and then sign at the bottom acknowledging you have read, understand and agree to follow it.
No Board Member at American Leadership Academy shall knowingly disclose confidential information gained by reason of information shared at a board meeting. This includes information about:
• The SIS or SSID number, social security number, insurance coverage, marital status, payroll deductions, race, religion, disabilities or military status of a student or his/her families.
• Records of individual finances, medical or psychological condition past or present. The Department of Social Service information. Any record that would constitute a clearly unwarranted invasion of personal privacy.
• Any conversation or documents of disclosure of which may give an unfair advantage to a person or entity proposing to enter into a contract.
• Records or conversation touching upon the value of property owned by the school, which may be considered for sale.
• Any record or conversation that may jeopardize the life or safety of an individual if disclosed.
• Any record or conversation which may jeopardize the security of school property or programs.
• Records or conversation touching upon audits, audit techniques, procedures and policies.
• Records or conversation touching upon issues of actual or potential litigation.
• Records or conversation touching upon collective bargaining strategy.
• Records or conversation touching upon occurrences covered by the Division of Risk Management. Records or conversation touching upon deliberations of the Board acting in judicial or review of prior decision capacity.
• Records or conversation touching upon an employee evaluation not signed by the employee.
• Records or conversation touching upon an employee transfer, appointment, retention or promotion of employees.
• Records or conversation not placed in an employee's personal file, which are maintained by individual supervisors or administrators.
• Records or conversation touching upon an individual's eligibility for unemployment benefits, social services, or welfare benefits.
• Records or conversation touching upon individual finances.Records or conversation touching upon any individual's medical or psychological condition, past or present.
• Records or conversation that would constitute clearly unwarranted invasion of privacy.
Except as otherwise set forth herein school documents are "public" documents and every person has the right to inspect and/or take a copy.
These records can be access upon an appropriate written request from the subject of the records, or the parent or legal guardian of an un-‐emancipated minor who is subject of the record, the school shall disclose private records and other private data only to the subject of the private record, or the legal guardian of a legally incapacitated individual who is the subject of the private record, or an individual who has a power of attorney from the subject of the private record, or who submits a notarized release from the subject for the record, or his legal representative which is dated not more than thirty days before the date the request is made, or pursuant to order of a court of competent jurisdiction to disclose such record.
Each requester shall submit a written request specifically identifying those documents requested. The request shall specifically state whether the documents sought are: (1) to be copied; or (2) identified to determine whether they are subject to disclosure; or (3) to be allowed to inspect a specific record. In the event that a document specifically identified and designated for copying the requester shall submit sufficient funds with the written request to pay for all copies requested to be copied.
The school shall respond to the request to copy within fifteen days. The school shall respond to an appropriate request by:
- Approving the request and providing the records.
- Denying the request.
- Notifying the requester that it does not maintain the records (Utah Code 63-‐2-‐302)
Board of Trustees shall not use information to advance any personal interest, financial or otherwise.
The charter school shall maintain confidentiality of employee and student records, and Board Trustee shall accept employment or engage in any business or professional activity that might be expected to induce him or her to disclose confidential information acquired by reason of serving this board.
A breach of this policy will be reviewed by the full Board of Trustees and may result in dismissal from the Board and/or criminal charges.
Board of Trustees Signature Date