YOUTH ACTIVIST SCHOLARSHIP (DEADLINE: MARCH 22ND)
Youth Activist Scholarship
2021 will be the 14th year that the ACLU of Utah will award scholarships to eligible college bound Utah high school seniors who have demonstrated a strong commitment to civil liberties through some form of activism.
We will offer four (4) scholarships of $3,500 each for a total of $14,000 in scholarships awarded. This represents the highest amount of financial aid in the scholarship’s history. The deadline to submit an application is Monday, March 22, 2021.
The application is quite simple. Students complete a short application form, write a 1,000-word essay about their commitment to, and work on behalf of, civil liberties, and submit school transcripts as well as two recommendations from non-family references. A committee of educators and community leaders will review the applications and chose the students that will be honored for their civil liberties activism in their schools and communities.
To qualify for the scholarship, you must: Be a Utah resident;
- Be a current high school senior planning on entering an accredited college or university as a full-time, degree-seeking student;
- Have attained a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale. If the GPA is less than 3.0, the applicant is still eligible but must submit an explanation for the lower GPA;
- Have proof of strong commitment to civil liberties through some form of activism addressing such issues as equality, racial justice, free speech, religious freedom, tolerance, and privacy.
Students who complete the application forms will be judged on the following standards:
- The strength and depth of the candidate’s contributions to civil liberties
- Demonstrated leadership
- The likelihood of the applicant’s continuing commitment to civil liberties in the future
- Commitment to academic excellence
- Demonstrated financial need