Policy Number: 3390
Date: Sept. 22nd, 2020
SCHOOL DANCES POLICY
Table of Contents
School dances are designed to provide a healthy, safe environment for students to socialize and enjoy being together. This policy has been established to allow the continuation of dances and ensure the enjoyment and safety of all students at school dances.
Admittance & Attendance
1. Any student attending the dance must be a student in grades 9-12.
2. Admittance is subject to approval of the administration.
3. The Student Discipline Policy will be in effect and enforced at all school dances.
4. Any student attending the dance suspected of using alcohol or any controlled or illegal substance prior to or during the dance will be removed from the dance. Parents will be called and the student may be subject to alcohol or drug testing and school discipline.
5. Any student on suspension may not participate in a school dance.
School dances are school functions, and as such, students are expected to dress and behave in ways that are appropriate for the school setting. Anyone attending is expected to behave appropriately on the dance floor. Students must recognize that movements and dance styles present in non-school settings or portrayed in the entertainment industry are not always appropriate in the high school setting. Sexually explicit dancing such as freaking, grinding, or any other type of dancing or act which could be construed as vulgar or provocative is prohibited. Dancers must remain upright with both feet on the floor. No overt and/or prolonged public displays of affection are allowed. Moshing or slamming is not permitted or any other dancing considered inappropriate by ALA administration. Violation of the dance conduct will result in removal from the dance and possible discipline. No refund will be given to anyone who is asked to leave the dance.
Dance Dress Code
American Leadership Academy High School dances are school events and reflect the values and standards of our school. The ALA Dance Dress Code will be strictly enforced at all formal dances and must be followed by all students attending which includes ALA students and their guests. Anyone not in compliance with the Dress Code will not be admitted to the dance and refunds will not be issued. If you are bringing a date from another school, it is your responsibility to make him/her aware of the ALA Dance Dress Code.
- Necklines of a dress, top, or gown must be cut in a modest way so that no cleavage is showing.
- No strapless or backless tops.
- No exposed undergarments or sleepwear.
- Backlines and sides must cover the torso, chest and back and should be no lower than a normal bra strap.
- Cut-outs or any exposure of chest, midriff, thigh, naval or abdomen are not permitted.
- The dress, skirt, or gown must be no shorter than the student’s fingertips when hands rest at their side. This includes slits in dresses or skirts.
- The garment should not be excessively tight and should allow free movement without necessity of adjustment.
- Because of differing body types, the same dress may be acceptable on one person, but not on another.
- No pinning is allowed as an alteration for a dress if without the pinning the dress does not meet dress code.
- Dresses need to meet the above guidelines without adding any jacket or cover-up that may be removed once inside the dance.
1. Shirtless or unbuttoned shirts.
2. Clothing that displays an insignia or sign which shows disrespect for any race, creed, color, or nationality.
3. Clothing that displays obscene or suggestive phrases, immoral or illegal behavior.
4. Cult or gang apparel.
5. Bandannas, baseball caps, or hats.
School administration has the final judgement in determining compliance with the Dress Code and making the subjective determination of modesty. Students are advised to err on the side of modesty and formality. Please do not put school administrators in the difficult position of upholding school standards or let yourself or your date be embarrassed by being called out for violating our school’s dress code and asked to leave the dance.
Bringing a Guest to a Dance
1. The guest must be of high school age which means in grades 9-12.
2. Student and their out-of-school guest must complete the guest dance form prior to purchasing tickets.
3. All guests must show a picture ID at the door.
4. Out-of-school guests are expected to arrive at the dance and remain with their host while attending the dance.
5. Out-of-school guests must adhere to all school rules including those outlined in this policy. Any student or guest choosing not to do so will be removed from the dance.
6. Administration reserves the right to refuse out-of-school guests to enter the dances for any reason.